Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Email to my insurace company

Car insurance.  Home insurance.  The company has a website.  I can view my policy online, pay my bill and email them questions.  They just made me change my password AGAIN and refused to let me change it to one of the passwords I had used six to nine months ago.  So I emailed them:
Oh, for goodness sake, stop listening to your ultra-conservative web security geeks and knock off making us change our password every three months.  How does this make my account any more secure?  Are you telling me that some computer hacker is working away in his lair for months and months to steal my password and he is FOILED because at the end of month three - HA HA!!!   Your policy has forced me to change my password!!  Take THAT evil, computer hacker guy!  All your work for 2 months and 29 days has been wasted!!!  WASTED!!!  And now you have to start all over!!  Mwa ha ha!!!  The good guys win again!!!

And really, I have my insurance coverage with you.  If a hacker mangaged to steal my password and get into my account - what's he going to do?  INCREASE my insurance coverage?!  Pay my bill for me?  Heavens, no!  Not that!  

Your web security folks are supposed to tell you that we should change our password every three months.  It is their job to think about the worst case scenarios and come up with ways to combat them.  But it is your job, oh reasonable and practical-minded customer service executives, to see the whole picture and realize that you can go overboard with your security policy by making it too strict and hugely inconvenient to your customers.  You know that you just force us to start writing down our passwords, don't you?  How safe is that?

Please consider changing your password policy.  Thank you for your time.
 I couldn't find any good pictures to go with this story,
so here is a frog:
 

(And YES, I did use all of those exclamation points in my email.  You got something to say about it?!?!)

3 comments:

Wanda..... said...

They do manage to add a little nuisance to something that is convenient for us.

Ms. Moon said...

Heh-heh. I especially love the frog. I wonder about this- retrieving my cell-phone messages, especially. I mean- who the hell wants to hear my cell-phone messages? Why do I need a password? I guess it's there to prevent cheating spouses' conversations from being listened to. Or something.
ARRGGGHHHH!

Bethany said...

great email.
i want to copy and paste to my mortgage company, was thinking the same sam thing, with even more exclaimation points the other day.
i love the frog.
perfect.