Thursday, September 18, 2008

Doofus in nature - part 2

I don't know how this has turned into some kind of nature journal, but here I go again.

I saw my first rattlesnake. Actually, I heard him before I saw him. Which is exactly how it is supposed to work. He rattles. I jump ten feet in the other direction. He stays where he is. I stay the heck away. Everyone's happy.

Okay, maybe that is not exactly how it is supposed to work. I'll admit that it might be better if I see him before I get so close that he has to rattle at me.

It was late afternoon and I was walking in the park after work. I was on the main, paved road that runs through it. There is a curb right in the middle of the road to separate car traffic from pedestrians and bikes. I was walking closer to the curb in the middle of the road so that I wouldn't be near the wilderness side of the road in case some early evening creature decided to mosey out. I walked right by the snake before he rattled at me. I really did jump in the other direction.

See my creative overhead view below. The thick black line is the curb running through the middle of the road, and the circle is where the snake was. (No, I wasn't barefoot.)


Then I turned to look at him. I didn't think it would be wise to try to get any closer to take a picture with my crappy cell phone camera. So then I just walked on. I would have told other people to watch out for the snake, but I didn't run into anyone else the rest of the way.

And I call myself a doofus because it is funny. You don't have to worry. I really do know what to do if I were to be bitten by a rattlesnake. Do you?


This is a sign that is in the parking lot of the park.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Hey, how did you make that little diagram? It's really cool. In Illustrator? Wow, you heard a rattlesnake rattle. Cool. Um, what DO you do if one bites you? No idea here. Share the info. Lovely manni and pedi as the kids call them. I wish you'd opted for the extra sparkle, you must not be feeling TOO daring. Great shoes too. Good luck!