Sunday, May 18, 2008

More plants I haven't killed yet


This is the plant that I almost killed by NOT planting it in the shade. When I bought it the woman at the nursery told me it liked partial sun. She lied. Apparently it is a little more finicky than that and needs full shade.

AND I found out that you are not supposed to water things with a watering can that sprinkles water all over it because then the leaves get BURNED by the sun. Why do they sell those watering cans then, huh?


Since I am too lazy to dig it up and move it and my backyard doesn't have too many areas that are not cement, I've devised an ingenious way to shade it. The plastic chair fits right over the top of it and keeps it shady.

Don't know what I'll do if it grows much bigger but it is really doing much better now. It had lots of red flowers when I bought it and hopefully they'll come back some day.




I don't know what this is, but it refuses to die no matter how much I neglect it. It was here when we moved in, so I never felt anything special towards it. The plants that I bought were the chosen ones - the fact the I picked them out made me want to care for them. But this plant just keeps blooming with its white and pink flowers even after months and months of no watering, lots of bugs and webs all over it and me never giving it a second glance.


So now I think I should pay attention to it. It has been tenaciously clinging to life in spite of me - you have to respect that.





















This is the begonia that was infested with something. The nursery gave me an organic pesticide to spray on it and it is doing better. I still don't know how often I should apply it. It had a nice bloom of reddish flowers when I bought it but none since then.

No comments: